This is a brilliant opportunity for a passionate Illustrator to join a vibrant, talented and fast-growing creative agency.
Reporting to the Art Director, you will be an expert on the principles of cinematic camera movement & planning and work across a wide range of creative disciplines – including; creating key art, working on digital art platforms and digital illustration for a number of high-level clients. This is a varied role that requires a multi-disciplined candidate with exceptional digital art flair and a keen eye for detail.
This is a great opportunity to get stuck in and assist at all stages of the creative process from briefing and concept creation through to delivery. The ideal candidate will have an extensive production background and previous agency experience under their belt (3-4 years min). They’ll have the ability to deliver projects independently as well as in small teams in a clean and clear style.
You’re a highly creative, ideas person and naturally talented Illustrator who’s looking for an opportunity to get stuck into a varied set of clients and projects. You’re passionate about Illustration/ digital art, high quality output and understand how to deliver award winning creative projects. You understand the pressures of working for a busy creative studio, but that doesn’t stop you delivering at your best. You’re willing to work with others, learn new skills and lead your own creative projects when required.
Skills & Competencies
- You will have 3+ years’ experience within a design studio or freelance
- You must be highly self-motivated, as well as a team player
- Strong creative and technical skills in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. A good understanding of 3D content creation tools such as Maya would be an advantage, though not essential
- You understand cinematic camera angles and drawing for video/VFX teams
- Previous experience of editorial illustration in the context of online media platforms
- Exceptional illustration / storytelling skills and a keen eye and passion for design
- Ability to work to tight deadlines & often under pressure
- Excellent creative/conceptual thinking and idea generation skills
- Ability to problem-solve project briefs and consider various routes to ensure delivery
- Great communication skills, ability to articulate ideas within a team environment and excellent client facing skills
- Able to be agile with your work, adapting and updating boards while scripts are being developed
- With the help of our Art Director, ensure that your work adheres to our brand and style guidelines
Your portfolio should demonstrate the following
- Sequential storyboard sketches showing a variety of content and camera movement
- Both initial planning and finished storyboard drawing examples
- Examples of drawing for film
- Annotations showing understanding and knowledge of cinematic camera language
- Strong design skills and original idea development
- Very strong traditional illustration skills in a variety of media as well as excellent drawing skills
- A strong ability to think in 3D and draw in perspective
- Great use of colour, light and shadow
- Ability to create photo-realistic matte style paintings
- Ability to work within specific styles, including a style set by another artist or art director
CompensationCirca £36-40k pa, subject to experience
As a B&D employee, you get free breakfast, bike storage, showers, quarterly outings, annual awards, spot bonuses, training budgets, senior management mentoring and Forced Friday Fun. It’s just a name; it really is fun. We down tools at 5pm every Friday and all enjoy a cold one in reception.
Primarily 5 – 6 Mallow Street, London, EC1Y.
We’re an integrated, creative-led marketing agency. We’re privately owned, fully independent and owner-managed and have enjoyed nearly 15 successful years in business. Our central purpose is to be indispensable to busy businesses by delivering creative solutions that matter.
We believe our Focused Imagination ensures that what we do really matters. We’re obsessed with detail and craftsmanship because we always, ALWAYS deliver. We have to – it’s in our name. That means we have an incredible work ethic and do whatever it takes. This is how we generate our personal satisfaction and pride – that, and our enviable awards cabinet and consistent press coverage. We do all this by having the best people, who relish well-earned praise and strive to better themselves and the agency in everything they do. We operate a zero-tolerance policy for egos and bullshit. And when the work is done, we make sure we reward ourselves in ever-increasingly creative ways.
We know how lucky we are. We work in a creative, respectful environment, which offers opportunity, experience, education and pride. Being a central London agency we know there are talented and focused young people whose life situation means they’ll probably never get a chance to work in our industry. Our mission is to change that. We actively support a prevention and intervention charity focused on young people at risk of taking the wrong path. We help design inspiring programmes that given experience and insight into our world, motivating them to strive for achievement despite their surroundings and influences.
What to do
We’re very specific about how you apply to work with us, because we’re very specific about the people who work here. If you think you’re the ideal person and are simply aching to join us, then follow these instructions very carefully. Yes, following simple instructions is the first test…
Ensure you have a fully up-to-date CV which must contain ALL of your education history, ALL of your previous work history from the very beginning, and must include your annual compensation for each job, including bonuses, rises, promotions and other benefits
You must also be prepared (at a later stage) to name your direct supervisors, managers or bosses from each former or current job. It is an absolute, unwavering and emphatically enforced rule that you will arrange at least two reference phone calls if you progress past interview stage. Please be prepared for that.
Please write a beautifully crafted cover letter explaining why you’re the perfect person. Pitch yourself as if you’re your own favourite brand. No more than one side of A4, and don’t feel obliged to ‘design it’ – we’re judging what you say and how you say it, not whether you can use inDesign (unless you’re going for a creative role in which case, go to town).
Once you’re satisfied, send us your CV, portfolio and cover letter via the form below by the deadline quoted.
How it works
You send your CV, cover letter and portfolio and we’ll make sure you’ve detailed everything we asked for. If not, game over. If you have done what’s been asked, we’ll evaluate the detail.
If you make the shortlist – normally only 5-8 do – well done! We’ll contact you either for an initial telephone interview (assume 30-45mins) or jump straight to an interview. We can’t contact everyone, sorry, so if you don’t hear from us we just don’t think your detail was for us.
If you’re asked to an interview, make sure you know your stuff. We going to ask you to recall your experiences evaluate your previous history and discuss your current capabilities. It’s worth thinking about that ahead of time.
Depending on the role, there’s likely to be a few quick-fire tests thrown in too – nothing too strenuous, but things that reflect some of the work and situations we enjoy here every day.
All of this will take around 90 mins or more so make sure you make enough time. At the end of the interview we’ll isolate at least two references for you to contact and arrange calls with. No matter how good you seem on paper and in person, if we can’t hear it echoed from your past, there’s no job.
We’ll let you know the outcome of the interview and reference calls one way or another. We often need a second interview, so don’t be surprised if that happens too.
We only want the best, most honest and most dedicated people. If you’re going to fall at a hurdle, this process saves us both a lot of time. If you can handle what we’re asking, then you’re halfway there.
For the record, in nearly 15 years of business we have the lowest staff turnover we’ve ever heard of, and no one has ever resigned to join another agency. We take our time to make sure our people are perfect for B&D, and equally, that B&D is perfect for them.